Part 1

scale-in-green-614x400

In 2010 I had the great honor to be picked for the show Extreme Weight Loss on ABC. Some of you may have watched my story and some of you may have missed it. (Watch it here)

On the show I had incredible success. I ended up losing 207 pounds in one year. When I started the show, my greatest desire was to get healthy. I wanted to know what it felt like to live in a healthy body. I wanted to know what it felt like to live at a healthy weight. I wanted to be healthy enough to finally start the family my husband and I had been dreaming of for many years.

At the time of being chosen for Extreme Weight Loss I had been morbidly obese for half of my life. My weight struggles began when I was 14 and got worse each year. I had a very troubled relationship with food. I didn’t use food as nourishment or fuel. I used food for emotional reasons and stress relief. I learned this behavior at a very young age after suffering a trauma at 14. Of course, at the time I didn’t realize what I was doing or how it would affect my future or my health. As I grew into young adulthood I felt trapped in obesity with no way out.

Even though I went into the show with the best of intentions at some point in my journey the true reason I started losing weight in the first place got lost. I knew that many people wanted to be picked for the show and for some reason I got this chance. I wanted to make the most of it. I wanted to make sure I didn’t waste one moment. I wanted to make sure I did everything perfectly and lost every pound I could.¬†As the pounds started to come off more slowly I didn’t know what to do. The pressure to lose as much weight as I could in one year coupled with the pressure I put on myself internally was all consuming. I did the only thing I knew to do at the time. If I wasn’t losing much weight with 5 hours of exercise a day and 1600 calories a day, then I had to eat less and I had to exercise even more. I now falsely found my value and self worth in the pounds I lost on the scale each week. This is where a dream to get healthy became an unhealthy eating disorder and the most intense mental and physical battle of my life.

to be continued…

Comments

1. says

You are leaving me hanging woman!!!! But you have me begging for more. Psychologically speaking…you are going to address what millions of us think every day. God bless you…..

2. says

The episode featuring you is my favorite Extreme Weightloss episode. I love how your husband supported you the whole way. And you are such a beautiful woman and an inspiration to others. :)

3. Pat Smith says

Thank you so much for sharing this Jacqui! You have already helped so many and I know you are going to help even more of us who our own journey to get healthy and fit. I see myself heading in the wrong direction with being obsessed about how much weight I can lose each week which is why I am so frustrated with barely losing any weight especially since a friend of mine has a personal trainer coming to her house every day and she has lost more weight than I have. I also see that I am not eating as healthy as I was even a couple of weeks ago so I definitely needed to be reminded of why I started on this journey. Can’t wait to read part two. Have a great day and again thank you for your support, encouragement and for sharing your story!

4. says

I am trying so hard not to tilt myself in that direction mentally, after doing so much work to get my head on straight already! It’s such a fine, fine line we walk sometimes. I can’t wait to read more of your wonderful, beautiful, honest story friend.

5. says

Jacqui, having had the honor of hearing you in person, I want you to know that what you shared with us… and perhaps what you have yet to share here, will help more people than you can imagine. Good luck on your journey and I pray that all your DREAMS come true! Hugs, Susan

6. says

Dear Jacqui,
    I must saw out of all the people I have watched on the show, your story has touched my heart the most. Not so much for the transformation you went through, WHICH WAS INCREDIBLE, but what you have been doing AFTER the show, sharing yourself, your blog, the great recipes, and sharing your story. I haven’t met you, but can tell you are an AMAZING person, with a heart of gold, and I think great things are going to continue to happen for you in the future because you have a genuine care, concern and desire to help others and share. May God bless you. Keep up the great work and thank you for letting us be a part of your life, because all of us know, we need someone like you for inspiration!
    ((((HUGS)))) Nancy

7. says

Thank you so much for sharing the way that you are! I relate to many parts of your story and things that happened when I focused on the results on the scale. I have now been at peace with food for years and anyone who needs to know that it can be done..it is possible. I look forward to reading more about you and your story.